31 January 2014

Interview with John Hemingway (The grandson of Ernest Hemingway)






Interview with John Hemingway:










Fiesta: The sun also rises, The Garden of Eden, The Old man and the sea, and Hemingway’s boat are just a few of my favourite books penned by Ernest Hemingway. From a young age I remember active butterflies that danced in my stomach whenever I came across a book of Ernest Hemingway; there was no hiding the fact he inspired me. As-a-matter-of-fact I would go as far as saying, if it wasn’t for reading his books, my passion for writing may never have begun.
There is a permanent smile on my face whenever I see an image or hear of Ernest Hemingway.

A few months ago, I, amazingly, came in contact with John Hemingway-the Grandson of Ernest. I was very keen to read his book; Strange Tribe: A Family Memoir. Throughout reading his book, my emotions had paid for a ride  on a Rollercoaster- I was happy on a few pages then sadness would grip my heart on the others, I am not afraid to tell you a few tears shed down my face.
It gave me an insight into the Hemingway family that I had not read, nor known before. John Hemingway, who’s now a father of two, told the world in his Memoir the difficulties that faced his upbringing. Greg Hemingway; the father of John, suffered with Bi-polar and took an interest in androgyny-that would eventually lead to his cross-dressing. Both Ernest and Greg Hemingway suffered Bi-polar and depression.

John Hemingway portrayed the relationship of Ernest and Greg extremely well.


John Hemingway offered me the opportunity to interview him for my blog. There are no words in the dictionary that can describe my reaction to the exact feeling(s) I had. Me, interviewing John Hemingway! Wow!

This interview covers questions relating to Ernest and Greg Hemingway, and his thoughts towards Pamplona Bull Run.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



(L.L) Fernando Hulade claims Ernest Hemingway, did, in actual fact, run with the bulls in Pamplona 7th July 1924. However, I have not found any evidence that can correspond to his indication. Have you ever found any substantial proof that Ernest ran with the bulls-given the fact he had an imperfection with his left eye and shrapnel from an explosion?


(J.H) I HAVE NO PROOF THAT MY GRANDFATHER EVER RAN

When you realised the dysfunctional side to the Hemingway name, did you become worried how “your future” would pan out?


NO, IF A PERSON IS BI-POLAR USUALLY THAT MANIFESTS ITSELF IN THE LATE TEENS, I WASN’T.


Do you believe the “Hemingway curse” has finished?

 I DON’T BELIEVE IN THE “HEMINGWAY CURSE” TO BEGIN WITH. THERE HAVE BEEN CERTAIN PSYCHOLOGICAL CONDITIONS IN MY FAMILY, SUCH AS BI-POLAR CONDITION AND CLINICAL DEPRESSION, BUT THAT IS HARDLY WHAT I WOULD CALL A CURSE.


Do you believe there are people who, like Ernest himself, ignored everything other than his masculinity, never wanting to admit that behind his masculine ego, was a confused man who became obsessed with androgyny?


I DON’T THINK MY GRANDFATHER WAS AS THE QUESTIONER DESCRIBES HIM. HE WAS A LOT MORE COMPLEX THAN SOME PEOPLE APPARENTLY GIVES HIM CREDIT FOR BEING.

Do you think the Running of the Bulls; was Ernest’s way of expressing, or forcing, his masculinity-that every man, who runs, is proving his strength and ego rather than the sole purpose of religion?

HE NEVER RAN WITH THE BULLS, HE WATCHED THE RUNNING OF THE BULLS.


After the death of his father, Clarence Hemingway, Ernest was quoted saying “I’ll probably go the same way” but then contradicts himself at a further date quoting “My father was a coward. He shot himself without necessity.” What is your opinion towards Ernest’s death?


HE WAS SUFFERING FROM CLINICAL DEPRESSION AND, UNFORTUNATELY, IN THAT STATE, THE DEPTH OF THE DEPRESSION IS SO DEEP, SO DARK, THAT MANY BELIEVE THAT SUICIDE IS THE ONLY WAY OUT, AND THEY END UP TAKING THEIR OWN LIVES.

Ernest brought many tourists to Sanfermines from his famously popular book, that described Pamplona Bull Run and Festivals from the 7-14th July, in: Fiesta: The Sun Also Rises, yet there is stigma that surfaces from those who believe he is responsible of continuous animal cruelty, what do you say about this?

WELL, THE CORRIDA AND THE ENCIERRO EXISTED BEFORE ERNEST AND HAVE CONTINUED AFTER HIS DEATH. THEY ARE A PART OF SPAIN’S CULTURE AND MY GRANDFATHER DID NOT CREATE THIS, ALTHOUGH HE ADMIRED THIS ABOUT SPAIN AND ITS CULTURE. THE BULLS USED IN CORRIDA AND IN THE ENCIERROS WOULD NOT EXIST WITHOUT BULLFIGHTING, WHICH IS CONSIDERED AN ART FORM BY MANY IN SPAIN. THEY ARE REMNANTS OF THE WILD BULLS THAT USED TO ROAM EUROPE AND THEY THEMSELVES ARE WILD, HAVING LITTLE CONTACT WITH MEN UP UNTIL THE TIME, USUALLY AROUND 4 YEARS, WHEN THEY ARE SENT OFF TO FIGHT AND DIE IN THE RINGS OF SPAIN.


What do you, being a member of GATOS Bullfighting Club, consist of?

IT’S A PENA, A SOCIAL CLUB, AND BASICALLY DURING THE FIESTA WE ENJOY OURSELVES AND PARTY AND RUN AND DO WHATEVER ELSE IS HAPPENING IN THE STREETS, BECAUSE IN PAMPLONA “LA FIEST ES POR LA CALLE.”


Why did it take some time for you to attend Pamplona; San Fermin Festival?

 
NO REAL REASON, I WAS JUST BUSY DOING OTHER THINGS.

It is believed Ernest suffered with Hemochromatosis that was never treated. This caused weakness, joint pain and impotence. On top of that it is believed by psychologists who have looked into Ernest’s manner and mental state he suffered with Borderline and Narcissistic Personality Traits, Bi-polar, Alcohol dependence and Traumatic Brain Injury. Not forgetting his generic eye imperfection and shrapnel. He was given up to 15 electric shock treatments that can does cause memory loss, confusion and depression. His denial of his sexuality, the guilt of his Father’s death, his Son; Gregory, into dressing in women’s clothes and the distant relationship in which they showed no gratitude for one another, the part General Franco played in removing the delightful atmosphere in Pamplona and his removal of Ernest’s book and his continuous paranoia are all plausible reasons into his suicide, do you believe he was ever happy and comfortable with who he was?

I DON’T THINK THAT MY GRANDFATHER WAS DENYING HIS SEXUALITY; HE HAD THREE KIDS AFTER ALL. I BELIEVE MY GRANDFATHER ENJOYED HIS LIFE IN A WAY THAT MOST OF US CAN ONLY DREAM OF DOING. HE LIVED HIS LIFE TO THE FULLEST.
Did you fear having your own child due to the relationship of Ernest-Greg Greg-and you?

NO. NOT AT ALL. I HAVE TWO CHILDREN, A BOY AND A GIRL.

What valuable lesson have you learnt in life?

FORGIVENESS IS IMPORTANT. FRIENDS ARE IMPORTANT AND LIFE IS SHORT, DON’T WAIT TO DO TOMORROW WHAT YOU CAN DO TODAY.



If you could go back in time, would you change any of the Hemingway History?

 NO.

How did you feel, after finding out about your Father’s like for wearing women’s clothing?

IT DIDN’T BOTHER ME, HE WAS STILL MY DAD, AND HE JUST LIKED A DIFFERENT KIND OF FASHION, THAT’S ALL.


When speaking to your Father as Gloria, did you respect His/her new identity and refer to her as Gloria or as Greg?

NO. I HAVE ALWAYS REFERRED TO MY FATHER AS “DAD” OR “GREG.” HE OF COURSE COULD CALL HIMSELF WHATEVER HE PLEASED.


Have you ever, at any one point, questioned your sexuality?

NO. I HAVEN’T.


Do you have any possessions of Ernest’s?

PART OF HIS DNA.


Do you believe, now that time has changed, including society, if it were possible to bring; Clarence, Ernest, Greg and Yourself, into a room together you would get along?

WHY SHOULDN’T WE? WE’RE HEMINGWAYS, AFTER ALL, RELATED BY BLOOD. I THINK IT’D BE FUN TO HAVE A DRINK WITH THEM.


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


When John Hemingway notified me with the complete interview, I was feeling nervous and excited at the same time, understandable considering John Hemingway is the first ever person I have had the opportunity to interview and trust me, it means a lot. I read through his answers, learning something new with each sentence. When it came to the question; “Do you have any possessions of Ernest’s?”-And he replied “His DNA”-wow, what a fantastic answer!

NOTE TO JOHN HEMINGWAY.

The moment we first talked is so clear in my mind. I remember being completely lost for words.

What do you say, without coming across as a mental fan?


I mean, inside my head, I was dancing around my living room screaming!

You have made me feel welcome, and allowed me to express my passion for you and your family.

Ernest made me pick up my pen at a young age. I wrote and wrote and wrote. Nothing made sense, not really. The point was I was creating a fictional world in which I could be anyone, be anywhere. I have being writing online since 2003, firstly writing poetry-in which I still write, and Spanish Culture articles for my blog.  


Then I got to know you, and had the pleasure of reading your book. I was hooked! I then asked for more of your work to read, in which you sent me your blog webpage, allowing me to read more of your personal work. You have great talent! And, although Ernest Hemingway’s books have finished, it does not mean my pen will be put down, far from it. You are someone I have full appreciation and respect for!


John, thank you!


Thank you for giving me the time of day
For allowing me the chance to interview you, and your friendship! 


This opportunity, and the communication I have with you, PRICELESS!



.

No comments:

Post a Comment